Sunday, April 26, 2009

Day Two - CBC Live!

Day Two

I was up by 0930h and that is an easy time to get into the bathroom. Most people traveling that day are long gone and most everyone else is still sound asleep. Actually I never had to wait for a bathroom. Each floor had six to eight private bath/showers that are cleaned every morning and as clean (or cleaner) then my home bathrooms. I don't take much time in the morning because I shower before bed at 0100 – 0200 when there is zero demand for the bathrooms. I had forced myself to wake up and go to the kitchen before 1000h when the "free" breakfast service ended. As is often the case with free breakfasts there is no protean to be found. Cereal, sweet rolls, bread, and fruit. A breakfast like that doesn't fuel me for long before I start feeling light headed. I had a bagel and fruit and with postcards in hand hit the road for the public library. 


For some time now, six or eight blocks of Granville Street, where the hostel is, has been closed to auto traffic and torn up for a face lift in anticipation of next years Olympic games. The temporary side walks are fenced off from the construction and very narrow in front of the shops/clubs and crowded with a flow of people 24/7. A few doors to the north is the cross street Nelson. From Nelson north for two blocks the street construction is halted and the crews are finishing pitching the huge, block long, tents for the WestJet Street Party, part of JunoFest.


I make my way into a new part of downtown where Library Square is. It is hard to miss the Vancouver Library. It looks like a Roman Coliseum and occupies a full city block. Inside and out it is both modern and classical at the same time, plus beautiful and comfortable. After wandering the enclosed court yard looking at the shops and buying a few more postcards I went up a few floors and found a carrel along the glass wall overlooking the court yard and settled in to do some reading and writing.


Hunger finally drove me back to street level where, still within Library Square, I found a little Sushi/Teriyaki cafe bustling with salary-folk. 


Walking across the street to post my mail at the main Post Office then one block and around the corner to the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. building. I wanted to confirm where I would be coming tonight for the live radio show, The Q. I timed my walk back to the hostel and took an hours nap. Quite tired by this time.


Heading out, refreshed by a nap and wash up, I found my way back to the CBC studios and took my place it The Q queue. We were in the line up for 45 minutes but it was no worries because the company there was so interesting to visit with. In front of me was an artist who paints on wood and sells her work primarily to people decorating offices. Her painting is mostly on commission and she is making a good living with it. Imagine that! I was a bit sad when the line started moving and we had to go our own ways to our seats.


Being in the audience while this two hour broadcast was being recorded was way more fun then I imagined it would be. The Q is a weekday morning art, entertainment, and culture radio show. It has performances and interviews by same truly great artists. Within a couple weeks of the show I attended, The Q host Jian Ghomeshi interviewed Bruce Cockburn, Yoko Ono, Gorden Lightfoot, The Ting Tings, and coming soon a two hour interview with Leonard Cohen! On the night I was there guests were Alt Rocker Hawksley Workman, R & B singer Divine Brown, Punk Rocker (my favorite of the evening) Bif Naked, and hard rockers Hot Hot Heat. It was a really fun event and everyone in the standing room only audience was having a great time. Instance of Collective Joy #1.


On my way out I found myself walking abreast of one of the Q guests, the BC Minister for the Arts and Entertainment. We had a brief but interesting conversation as we made our ways down the street. Canadians are soo friendly!


My walk back to Granville Street took my by many eateries. I paused at windows reading menus and comparing prices. You can eat very well in Vancouver, economically. It must be because of so much competition. The weak Canadian dollar (cost me about 82¢ each) helps too. And the variety is great too. So much ethnic food. I saw one place serving poroges, borsch, cabbage, hearty Russian peasant food. The entire staff was Asian :–)


When I arrived near the hostel the street party was in full swing and my wrist band got me into the tent that Hot Hot Heat (who I had just seen at The Q) was playing. After an hour there standing and swaying to the music (Instance of Collective Joy #2) I walked a few blocks to a dance club that had only recorded music but there were places to sit and rest my feet. This place closed early (for this district) and threw us out at 0100h. A bite of sushi before returning to the hostel, then my nightly routine of shower, shave, pack up, and organize my gear for tomorrows departure. I crash about 0230h ish. Thanks to my earplugs I don't even hear Dylan come in at 0530. 


No comments: