Saturday, September 09, 2006

Island Bound


I was not born on an island but when Mom and I arrived home from the hospital it was to an island. I grew up on nearby Horse Island jutting out into Lake Erie. I lived aboard boats moored at Terminal Island in Los Angeles Harbor. Now I call
Guemes Island my home.

There is something about island living... people ether feel trapped or sheltered by the surrounding waters. I for one feel sheltered, embraced... safe.

Although I love going to "Town" and the "Mainland" it is often difficult leaving the "Island", tearing myself away from the tranquility of island life. There are times when I am in a far place with dear friends or out in the wilderness that I could be gone a long, long time and miss little... funny how the mind and heart work!

1 comment:

Rose said...

I really enjoyed your post concerning the island. It's really interesting to think about with a few years between me and full-time island life.

I loved growing up there and still love the island, but it's hard for me to be there and see all the ways it's changing. It must be even more drastic for you, having been there longer.

I'm not sure I'll ever live on Guemes again, but perhaps one day I'll find a younger "Guemes" to make my home. I don't think I'll ever forget the way living on an island makes you feel.